Sunday 17 July 2011

Story behind the photo - Windsor


While I can't find any definitive list, I would hazard a guess that a visit to Windsor is high on the 'to do' list for many tourists when they visit London. There are quite a few day trips you can do with various tour companies from London (these usually visit other places such as Stonehenge and Bath), or you can make your own way there, which is what I did. To get to Windsor yourself by train, you can either take a direct train from Waterloo to 'Windsor & Eton Riverside' station, or take a train from London Paddington that stops at Slough, and change at Slough for the branch line to 'Windsor & Eton Central' station (according to the National Rail website, the trip to Windsor & Eton Central is much quicker, even though it involves a change of train).

Windsor is a nice enough town to wander through, but I'm fairly certain most people come to Windsor to visit Windsor Castle, which is one of the longest-inhabited castle in Europe.  When you visit, your ticket gives you entrance to the grounds, the State Apartments, various exhibitions, and St George's Chapel. No photos are allowed inside the buildings, the photo in this post is of St George's Chapel (which, like all the churches/cathedrals I've visited, was lovely).

1 comment:

  1. I'll be seeing Windsor in 2 weeks and I am really excited!

    ReplyDelete