Sunday 9 October 2011

Story behind the photo - Berlin


Berlin. A city that's right up there as one of my favourites that I've visited. I can't quite explain why...but I think a big part of it is the sense of history that you get while there (and what you see just wandering around) and the fact that some of it happened in my lifetime...just amazing. One of these days, I might get around to doing a blog post of my time in the city and share a whole lot more photos...

One of the reasons I visited Berlin was to visit the Christmas markets (I know they aren't the best known in Germany, but I wanted to combine the markets with visiting a really interesting city). There are several markets set up throughout the city in the lead up to Christmas. They sell a range of crafts and gifts, have plenty of food stalls,....and gluhwein (mulled wine). I don't drink, but figured I had to try some - and found I rather liked it. This photo is of the gluhwein I had on our last night in Berlin (I visited with a friend). For a fee, you can keep the mug - which I did. Hopefully, if I get the chance, I'll be back to visit Berlin again before I leave Europe...we will see.

2 comments:

  1. Color me dense. So I am looking at this cup going to myself, why does it have that funny foot thing off to the right. I finally look up images of gluhwein cups and see that some of them are stocking shaped. Duh!

    Very cool, Suz. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *giggles* pretty cool cup, isn't it? I also learnt a VERY important lesson when I posted it home - 'one MUST put tape on bubble wrap to hold it in place'...(the cup ended up in bits, which my dad very kindly stuck back together)

    ReplyDelete