Monday 29 July 2013

To upgrade or not to upgrade?

taken near Reykjavik, Iceland
As you might have guessed, I like taking photos. Lots of photos. I've only ever had a point-and-shoot camera (Panasonic Lumix TZ-20 is my current camera), and I can't help but wonder if its time to upgrade to a DSLR. (sidenote - both TZ cameras I've owned, including my current one, have had dust get inside the sensor, which I can see in the photos, hence why I'm thinking about a new camera).

I've seen photos taken with DSLRs, and I like the effects. A lot. I'd love to be able to get the shallow depth-of-field and other similar setups...my current camera won't quite do it. But then I look at the photo above, which is one of my favourites I've taken over the last couple of years. And I remember the story behind taking it....I was visiting the geysir area near Reykjavik on a day tour, and just happened to turn around back towards where the tour bus was parked, and saw the sun peeking out through the clouds (first time all day). I snapped a handful of photos of the scene, and 5 minutes later the cloud had come back over again. I'm glad I had my point-and-shoot that day, cause I'm not sure I would have managed to whip out a DSLR as quickly to get the photo....

So, I think I want to get a new camera (finances permitting). The only question - another point-and-shoot, or do I go for a DSLR?

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions welcome.


2 comments:

  1. I have both cameras. What I have found is that the point and shoot works well for me in my everyday shooting and it stores really easily. My son, on the other hand, is a master of our Digital SLR and he carries it in the back of his car. So, I would definitely suggest keeping a point and shoot but if you feel like lugging around the big guy and that won't bother you, go for the Digital SLR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks. I'm pretty sure that finances might play a part as well...

    ReplyDelete