Thursday 8 August 2013

Hints for international posting

A couple of years back, I wrote about Things I have learnt at the post office . Looking back on the list, everything still holds true.

I need to add one more thing to the list - almost a caution for anyone living in the UK with family/friends overseas who send you parcels (or vice versa)

  • For parcels coming into the UK from outside the EU, if they are valued over a certain amount, then you might have to pay tax in order to pick them up from the post office.
This also extends to gifts sent to you in the UK from family/friends overseas. I had to pay VAT (Value Added Tax) before I could pick up a parcel from my family earlier this year. The worst bit....the parcel contained birthday presents! This was the first time this has happened to me, but it happened to a work colleague also - so just wanted to make people aware.

Disclaimer - this is only my experience, I don't know if this applies to all parcels sent into the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment