Monday 31 January 2011

A few of my favourite (technological) things

(by the way, typing that title totally made me sing the Sound of Music song in my head...)

Technology. It is something you can't really escape from these days. These are a few of my favourite technological things that I have: (in no particular order)

  • My computer: before leaving Australia, I sold my laptop to my sister. I didn't really think I was going to need it over here, and I didn't want to have to worry about it when I was travelling. When I got to my first job after my tour was over, where I was living didn't have a TV (I still don't have one, but that's another story). At the end of the first week, I was down at Curry's (an electrical goods store) picking out my netbook.....which has turned into a bit of a lifeline for me: a place to store music, photos, and to use the internet to connect with the world.
  • The World Wide Web: can something that you can't really see be included on a list of things? Well I'm going to regardless......the internet allows me to keep in touch with friends and family, as well as plan my future travels
  • Skype: as independent as I like to think I am, I'm close to my family and miss them a lot. My mum and sister came over to visit for a month last year, and one of the best parts of that time was getting to see them 'in the flesh' every day. In the absence of any planned long distance trips (me going home or family coming here) or someone inventing instant teleportation, Skype is a pretty good substitute
  • Camera: this one's easy - it allows me to record what I'm seeing and experiencing, to then be able to share with others. With the amount of photos I've taken since arriving in England, I'm glad I've got a digital camera, not a film one....*shudders at the imaginary cost of the film* I'd love to get an SLR camera, but for now I think my point-and-shoot will do the job
  • Mobile phone: where I currently live, I don't have a landline phone. Hence, my mobile is the only way for people to contact me by phone. Plus, text messages between my sister and I are a lot cheaper (and easier) than trying to make phone calls.
  • E-book reader: people who know me, know I love to read. (the 5 or so boxes of books I left packed up back in Australia just reinforces that). I have absolutely none limited space for storing books where I live, plus they've become a bit awkward to pack and carry when I travel. Therefore, I ended up buying an e-reader just before Christmas. I haven't had it very long, but already really really really like it.
  • iPod: I honestly can't imagine not having one (or some form of MP3 player). Long bus/train trips would be a different experience without it, I think.
  • Adapter plugs: lets me use my gadgets from home without having to get totally new plugs.
So that's my list. As much as I whine and complain when something stops working (two weeks without a computer, and no TV springs to mind......) I can't imagine my life without these technological things in it.

What about everyone else? What are some of your favourite technological things?

No comments:

Post a Comment