Thursday 5 May 2011

You're from Canada, right? Or how I (apparently) don't sound very Australian

As I think I've mentioned before, I was born in the UK, but grew up in Australia. I've lived the vast majority of my life in Australia, and so like to think I sound relatively Aussie. I know I don't sound like Crocodile Dundee or Steve Irwin (the fact that their accent is what many international people think all Australians sound like is another rant for another day), but I had thought my accent was relatively easy to pick.

In the nearly two years I've lived here, I've discovered that isn't always the case.

At various times, I have been asked if I am the following:


  • Australian
  • New Zealander/Kiwi
  • South African
  • Irish 
  • Canadian
  • American
I have also been told that I look Scottish.

The most bizarre attempt at picking my accent would have to been when I went with a work colleague (who is English) to see a client. The client said that I was English and that my colleague was Australian.......not sure how they reached that conclusion, let me tell you.

And, while I was in Turkey recently (on a group tour with a bunch of Aussies and Kiwis), I was told by some that I didn't have a very strong Australian accent. This has been a common comment I get from people who don't immediately pick my accent as Australian.

I don't mind particularly if people that I meet don't get my accent straight away - it provides me with a giggle and a bit of entertainment. I would, however, find it really interesting to hear myself how other people hear me - I think it could be an enlightening experience....

No comments:

Post a Comment